13 Shocking Secrets You'll Wish You Never Knew About Lemony Snicket is a promotional pamphlet containing thirteen "secrets" about Lemony Snicket; the final secret is found by decoding a puzzle. It was distributed through the HarperCollins AuthorTracker mailing list and on the Lemony Snicket website in promotion of The End. The day after the pamphlet was published, HarperCollins issued a press release revealing that Lemony Snicket had finished writing The End, the final book in A Series of Unfortunate Events. The final secret is also echoed towards the end of the Dear Reader letter for The End.
The 13 Secrets Of Lemony Snicket
- Lemony Snicket is not who you think he is.
- This may be referencing that Snicket is actually a character in the series; that he is guilty of some of the crimes for which he has been convicted; or simply that he is a pseudonym of Daniel Handler.
- Lemony Snicket is one of three siblings.
- Lemony Snicket's niece is an orphan.
- Lemony Snicket is wanted for arson.
- Snicket has been framed for the crimes of Count Olaf
- Lemony Snicket grew up with a terrible villain.
- Lemony Snicket attended boarding school.
- Snicket attended V.F.D. training, which took place at a boarding school; speculated as being Prufrock Preparatory School which is affirmed in the TV series.
- When he was a baby, Lemony Snicket was kidnapped by a secret organization.
- V.F.D. took Snicket and his siblings into training while they were young.
- Lemony Snicket was fired from The Daily Punctilio.
- Lemony Snicket helped Beatrice commit a serious crime before her death.
- Snicket, Beatrice, and Bertrand probably murdered Count Olaf's parents, or this could be Snicket helping Beatrice steal the Sugar Bowl
- Lemony Snicket was disguised as a bullfighter when he was captured.
- Lemony Snicket's work is filled with secret messages meant for his associates.
- In several books Snicket openly communicates with other members of V.F.D., such as his sister Kit.
- Lemony Snicket has a tattoo of an eye on his ankle.
- He is finished.
- The End contains the death of Count Olaf, the birth of Beatrice Snicket, and the resolution to the Baudelaires' helplessness, so it is no longer Snicket's duty to chronicle the events.
The pamphlet includes a chart of "suspicious characters". Lines connect family members, romantic interests, and people who have worked together. However, there are few connections which are unexplained: