- Lemony Snicket - Apprentice/Narrator
- Moxie Mallahan - Journalist/Archivist
- Pip Bellerophon - Steerer/Getaway
- Squeak Bellerophon - Brakeman/Getaway
- Cleo Knight - Chemist/Heiress
- Jake Hix - Victuals + Chef/Gourmand
- Kellar Haines - Double Agent/Codemaker
- Ornette Lost - Sculptor/Journeyperson/Firefighter
While these characters were given official profiles in promotional material, they were not an official part of the group in the book series All the Wrong Questions.
- Ellington Feint - Rogue Agent/Personne Fatale
- Kit Snicket - Volunteer/Sibling
- Jacques Snicket - Relative/Surveillor
- Lizzie Haines - Actress/Kidnap Victim
While the collection of friends was a sort-of mini-organization in the first two books of All the Wrong Questions, they did not form an official group until Shouldn't You Be in School? After Lemony Snicket informs his friends about VFD, Cleo Knight remarks that it's like their group. They resolve to fight the Inhumane Society and try to save the town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea.
After the group escapes Wade Academy, they gather at Handkerchief Heights, where Moxie Mallahan provides them all with business cards stating their name and occupation in order to mark them as a member of the Association.
Lemony Snicket leaves the group due to leaving Stain'd-by-the-Sea after the murder of Hangfire. While it is unknown if the members disbanded after this, it can be presumed that they did not remain affiliated with VFD.