- Lemony Snicket - Apprentice/Narrator
- Moxie Mallahan - Journalist/Archivist
- Pip Bellerophon - Steerer/Getaway
- Squeak Bellerophon - Brakeman/Getaway
- Cleo Knight - Chemist/Heiress
- Jake Hix - Victuals + Chef/Gourmand
- Kellar Haines - Double Agent/Codemaker
- Ornette Lost - Sculptor/Journeyperson/Firefighter
While these characters were given official profiles in promotional material, they were not an official part of the group in the book series All the Wrong Questions.
- Ellington Feint - Rogue Agent/Personne Fatale
- Kit Snicket - Volunteer/Sibling
- Jacques Snicket - Relative/Surveillor
- Lizzie Haines - Actress/Kidnap Victim
While the collection of friends was a sort-of mini-organization in the first two books of All the Wrong Questions, they did not form an official group until Shouldn't You Be in School? After Lemony Snicket informs his friends about VFD, Cleo Knight remarks that it's like their group. They resolve to fight the Inhumane Society and try to save the town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea.
After the group escapes Wade Academy, they gather at Handkerchief Heights, where Moxie Mallahan provides them all with business cards stating their name and occupation in order to mark them as a member of the Association.
Lemony Snicket leaves the group due to leaving Stain'd-by-the-Sea after the murder of Hangfire. While it is unknown if the members disbanded after this, it can be presumed that they did not remain affiliated with VFD.
- Occupations: Journalist / Archivist
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Forthright, Curious, Irrepressible
- Principal Predicament: Practicing journalism in an ink-deprived town.
- Favorite Book: The Portable Dorothy Parker
- Overheard Saying: "What's the news?"
- Recently Seen: Typing up recent reports of crucial events as they happen.
- Occupations: Steerer / Getaway
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Brave, Agile, Self-educated
- Principal Predicament: Father ill, low on gas.
- Favorite Book: Danny, The Champion of the World by Roald Dahl, particularly Chapter 7
- Overheard Saying: "This isn't a shortcut, but it is an unwatched road."
- Recently Seen: Taking a reckless turn.
- Occupations: Brakeman / Getaway
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Courageous, Reflexive, Self-confident
- Principal Predicament: Brake fluid low, father failing.
- Favorite Book: Danny, The Champion of the World by Roald Dahl, particularly Chapter 4
- Overheard Saying: "It would be wise to slow down. Let's speed up."
- Recently Seen: Pursued whilst in pursuit.
- Occupations: Chemist / Heiress
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Scientific, Determined, Elegant
- Principal Predicament: Attempting to revive an enormous industry through a not-yet-completed formula.
- Favorite Book: West with the Night by Beryl Markham.
- Overheard Saying: "Eureka! Now all I need are those extremely rare ingredients found only in a dangerous area at the dead of night. Don't wait up."
- Recently Seen: Donning a diving helmet, rubber gloves, and snowshoes.
- Occupations: Chef / Gourmand
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Loyal, Improvisatory, Able
- Principal Predicament: Running a delicious business in a town indifferent to taste.
- Favorite Book: The Physiology of Taste by Brillat-Savarin.
- Overheard Saying: "Sit down and tell me all about it and I'll make you a grilled chevré sandwich."
- Recently Seen: Worrying about his sweetheart whilst simmering a risotto.
- Occupations: Double Agent / Codemaker
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Secretive, Resourceful, Styled
- Principal Predicament: Rescuing his sister whilst having a difficult mother.
- Favorite Book: Hansel and Gretel by the Brothers Grimm
- Overheard Saying: "Psst. You know where, you know when."
- Recently Seen: Distracting his mother, the better to meet his associates late at night.
- Occupations: Sculptor / Journeyperson / Firefighter
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Creative, Fierce, Nimble
- Principal Predicament: Signalling associates before a villain can decode her sculpted message.
- Favorite Book: A Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata
- Overheard Saying: "I think you dropped this."
- Recently Seen: Passing a man a small paper statue of a woman who is lurking just across the street holding a map and a dagger, also made of paper.
- Occupations: Rogue Agent / Personne Fatale
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Sneaky, Lithe, Devoted
- Principal Predicament: Attempting to alter villainous plot [sc] for her own possibly unvillainous purposes.
- Favorite Book: Beneath the Underdog by Charles Mingus
- Overheard Saying: "I will do anything and everything."
- Recently Seen: Wearing a disguise in order to enter a forbidden building in order to snatch another disguise in order to enter another building equally if not more forbidden.
- Occupations: Volunteer / Sibling
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Fearless, Intelligent, Stubborn
- Principal Predicament: Jailed, while outside trouble and tea are brewing
- Favorite Book: The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula LeGuin
- Overheard Saying: "The rope will only hold the weight of one prowler, so I'll go alone."
- Recently Seen: Clutching to the 12th-floor windowsill of a building, after the rope broke.
- Occupations: Actress / Kidnap Victim
- Commonly Applied Descriptives: Clever, Concealed, Theatrical
- Principal Predicament: Getting abducted just when she was about to learn the truth.
- Favorite Book: A Narrative of Captivity and Restoration by Mary Rowlandson
- Overheard Saying: "Lizzie Haines? An old man like myself has never heard of her."
- Recently Seen: Tearing off a fake beard, the better to blindfold a guard she's knocked unconscious.