|“||We didn't lose our family. Only our parents.||”|
- Beatrice Baudelaire †
- Bertrand Baudelaire †
- Violet Baudelaire
- Klaus Baudelaire
- Sunny Baudelaire
- Beatrice Baudelaire II
The Baudelaire family is widely known to have fast-acting peppermint allergies. The fact that Beatrice had these allergies, as well as the fact all of Lemony Snicket's letters to Beatrice are addressed "BB", presumably means that Beatrice was born into the Baudelaire family, and Bertrand took her surname when they married.
It is a family tradition to name their children after the deceased.
Both Beatrice and Bertrand were known to be Volunteers of VFD; however, their children were isolated from knowledge of the organization, and only Violet has the barest memories of associated phrases. The Baudelaires were also angry and scared when Klaus reached some of their secret books, presumably ones linking to the organization. This implies that Beatrice and Bertrand left and did not want their children to get involved in the organization, presumably in the hope that they could live normal lives. It is unknown whether or not the Baudelaire orphans still consider themselves volunteers following the events of The Penultimate Peril, though it seems that Beatrice Baudelaire II may have managed to take VFD classes when she got older.
|Unknown if adoptive or biological||Unknown|
|Unknown||Unknown||Unnamed Guardians||Biological Parents †||Unnamed Mother †||Unknown|
|Monty Montgomery †||Monty Montgomery's Sister||Bertrand's Cousin||Bertrand Baudelaire †||Beatrice Baudelaire †||Gregor Anwhistle †||Ike Anwhistle †||Josephine Anwhistle †|
|Violet Baudelaire||Klaus Baudelaire||Sunny Baudelaire|
|Beatrice Baudelaire II|
On Beatrice's side of the family, her first cousins once removed were Gregor and Ike Anwhistle; Ike was married to Josephine Anwhistle. Beatrice was engaged to Lemony Snicket, but broke up with him for unknown reasons and married Bertrand instead.
Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire adopted the daughter of Kit Snicket, whom they named after their mother.
It is speculated that Gregor and Ike Anwhistle are the G and the I on the Snicket Clan family tree, meaning that their mother, who is known to have one eyebrow and one ear, is probably D. Snicket, which would distantly connect Beatrice to the Snickets. How distantly the connection is depends on if the Anwhistles' father or mother is her cousin.
- The surname "Baudelaire" is taken from Charles Baudelaire, a French poet and author who composed notable works such as Les Fleurs du mal.
- The word "baudelaire", itself, is of French origin, and is the name of a short cutting sword or dagger with a broad, slightly curving blade.
- Despite the French surname, Daniel Handler confirmed in an interview that the Baudelaire family is of Jewish descent, although he never clarified if it is on Beatrice's side, Bertrand's side, or both. He also did not clarify if he meant ethnicity only, religion only, or both. Daniel Handler is of Jewish descent himself.
- PROSE: The Wide Window
- PROSE: The Beatrice Letters
- PROSE: The End
- PROSE: The Slippery Slope
- PROSE: The Grim Grotto
- PROSE: The Reptile Room
- PROSE: The Bad Beginning
- PROSE: Shouldn't You Be in School?
- PROSE: Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
- Oxford English Dictionary
- The Jewish Secrets of Lemony Snicket