|“||Those children are monsters. I open my home and all they do is complain. "The bathroom is filthy. The rat is noisy. The bed is cramped." I think living in a mansion has spoiled them.||”|
— Count Olaf in the TV series
It is the first house that the Baudelaires live in after the Baudelaire fire and serves as the main setting for the first book. The children leave after it is revealed that Count Olaf is after their fortune.
Years after the unfortunate events of the Baudelaires, Lemony Snicket states that access to Count Olaf's house is impossible, though the exact circumstance as to why is unknown.
The house is described as a dilapidated mess. The bricks are stained with soot and grime, the front door needs repainting (and contains a carving of an eye), and the entire building sags to one side.
Rising above the house is a tall and dirty tower which Count Olaf has forbidden the Baudelaires access to.
There are paintings and photos of eyes everywhere in the house, making the Baudelaires feel they are always being watched.
The Baudelares' room is described as being filthy, only having one small bed, a pile of rocks, and a cardboard box for clothes.
In The Bad Beginning: Rare Edition, Lemony notes that his sister Kit has proposed that some of the eyes in Olaf's house contain secret peepholes, cameras, or microscopic lenses. It is possible Olaf and his associates were watching the Baudelaires during their stay.
In the TV series, the house is situated on Kenny Street.
- In each new adaptation, Count Olaf's house seems to become increasingly darker, more repulsive and twisted. In the book illustrations, the house is depicted as unkempt, but livable. In the film, the dirtiness of the house increases. In the TV series, it's an absolute horrific mess.
- In the video game, there are portraits of Count Olaf everywhere, showing his narcissism.
- The Bad Beginning
- The Vile Village (Mentioned only)
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (film)
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (video game)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV series)