|“||We correctly predicted the outcome of two of the last nine elections.||”|
— Eleanora to Gunther
Eleanora Poe is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Punctilio.
In the books, Eleanora is Arthur Poe's sister.
She is later locked in the basement of the newspaper building by her star reporter Geraldine Julienne under orders from Esmé Squalor. She then tries to telegram her brother. Unfortunately, her telegram and the Baudelaire's telegram are ignored due to an impostor telling Mr. Poe to ignore all incoming telegrams.
Her ultimate fate remains unknown.
In The Penultimate Peril, it is mentioned at some point in time, Bertrand Baudelaire pulled an elevator prank and "a tiresome woman named Eleanora had been forced to visit every story on the way up to her room."
In the Netflix adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events, the character of Eleanora Poe is combined with the character of Polly Poe from the novels, subsequently being portrayed as both the editor-in-chief of the Daily Punctilio and the wife of Arthur Poe, as opposed to being his sister in the novels. She is, therefore, the mother of Edgar and Albert Poe and they live in the same house.
She appears to be a very callous woman whose utmost priorities are delicious headlines, even telling the Baudelaires to say they feel terrible and miss their parents very much. When Georgina Orwell dies, she goes to Lucky Smells Lumbermill and smiles when photographing her body.
In Season 2, Eleanora begins using Geraldine Julienne's catchphrase: "Wait until the readers of The Daily Punctilio hear about this!" suggesting that she has replaced Geraldine's character in the series.
In the final episode, years after the deaths of Count Olaf and Kit Snicket, it is shown, ironically enough in the Daily Punctilio's final issue, that the paper will be shut down due to false reporting. This story is accompanied by an image of Eleanora in jail, implying the authorities caught onto her unethical practices.
She is portrayed by Cleo King.
- The Penultimate Peril (Mentioned only)
- The Beatrice Letters (Mentioned only)
- Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography (Mentioned only)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV series)
- Eleanora: "You must feel terrible, and you must miss your parents very much."
Violet: "We do."
Eleanora: "You do what? Say it."
Klaus: "We feel terrible, and we miss our parents very much."
Eleanora: "That's gonna make a wonderful headline."
- Mr. Poe: "Remember Baudelaires, our home is your home."
Eleanora: "But don't touch anything."
- "Baudelaires, what are your thoughts on your daring escape?"
- "YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM THE PRESS!" (when they flee from her)
- Eleanora Poe's name is a reference to Edgar Allan Poe and his short story "Eleanora."
- A YouTube channel using the username "Eleanora Poe" (and an image of Laura Jean Libbey as its avatar) released a video titled "An Unfortunate Teaser". The video was made to look as a teaser trailer for the Netflix series, but Neflix stated that the video is not official and was not released by them. Despite Netflix disclaiming it, some fans believe Netflix was behind the video.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 PROSE: Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xer4VCa5-tg
- ↑ http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/lemony-snicket-series-of-unfortunate-events-trailer-netlflix-fake-1201534251/
- ↑ http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/06/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-netflix-teaser/