|“||All I want is the simple life my mother and father had together, without arguing or keeping secrets.||”|
— Friday in The End
Friday's mother is Miranda Caliban. In the TV series, Miranda mentions she was brought to the Island when she was on a cruise while pregnant with Friday, but the cruise hit an iceberg, and she washed up on the Island.
Miranda told Friday that her father, Thursday, died in a storm and was eaten by a manatee. This was a lie to cover up Friday from worrying about the schism that divided her parents.
Friday is estimated to be six or seven years old, and is the only child on the island with the ability to write due to taking secret classes with Professor Fletcher. She wears a white seashell around her neck in which she keeps her coconut cordial.
She may have more of a free spirit than the other islanders, as shown when she walks into the camp wearing sunglasses which are outside the strict dress code because Ishmael believes they can be used as a weapon. Friday also learned how to skip rocks in secrecy from Omeros.
Friday welcomes the Baudelaires to the Island and rejects Count Olaf due to his unkind behavior, telling him to go away.
Friday helps teach the Baudelaires what life is like on the island and what their customs are. She befriends them and hopes they stay on the island for a long time.
When Olaf returns dressed as a pregnant Kit Snicket, Friday sees through his disguise and tells him off, saying he could've lived with them if he behaved better. When the Baudelaires are abandoned by the other islanders, Friday is saddened and reluctantly goes along with it due to the peer pressure.
At the end of the book, the Baudelaires beg Friday to take an apple to cure her from the Medusoid Mycelium. Friday contemplates and has a very frightened expression. Violet encourages Friday to not succumb to peer pressure while Klaus tries to hand her one. However, when Klaus tries to tell Friday her father is still alive while offering the apple, Miranda pushes Friday away so that Friday can not hear the truth about her father, preventing her from taking an apple.
Ishmael then sets sail and Friday rides off in the boat with her fellow islanders and mother. It is unknown if she met her fate by being poisoned by the Medusoid Mycelium.
Behind the scenes
She is portrayed by Nakai Takawira in the TV series.
- "No thank you. Our colony isn't a monarchy." (when Olaf orders her to worship him as her king)
- Like her father Thursday, she is named after a day of the week (notably the one after her father's name).
- Friday's only appearance in the series is the thirteenth book; or The End, a reference to the unlucky date of Friday the thirteenth.
- There is a theory that Mrs. Widdershins and Miranda Caliban are the same, meaning Fiona and Fernald are Friday's siblings or half-siblings (depending if Thursday is Captain Widdershins or someone else.)
- She is right-handed as an illustration of her right hand is shown drawing in the European version of The End.