|“||It can be hard to find the company you are looking for.||”|
— Lemony Snicket, Goldfish Ghost
Goldfish Ghost is a picture book by Lemony Snicket.
It is a story about a dead goldfish, or rather, its ghost, who is lonely and floats around the area to find someone to be friends with and help ease its lonely existence.
Born on the surface of the water in a boy's room, Goldfish Ghost is lonely and sets out to find some company.
As he floats over the neighborhood, past the fishing pier, and into a cheerful seaside town, he discovers that not many people pay attention to ghosts.
Off he floats, searching for the perfect home and the perfect friend...
Goldfish Ghost is born on the surface of a fishbowl on a dresser in a boy's room. While the room seems nice and familiar, nobody is there, and Goldfish Ghost floats out the window to try and find someone to talk to. He floats into a seaside down, but finds nobody able to talk to him. He eventually finds multiple oceanic creatures' ghosts floating above the sea, but Goldfish Ghost does not feel at home.
When it grows late, Goldfish Ghost returns to the bowl, only to find a new goldfish who is also not good company. Goldfish Ghost floats back out the window and hears a call from the lighthouse, where he meets the ghost of the lighthouse keeper. She places the fish where the light had once shown, and the two ghosts look out together, finding good company in each other.
- The official site for Golfish Ghost can be found at read.macmillan.com
- The illustrations of the book contain several hidden ghosts.
- Several associates of Daniel Handler and Lisa Brown make cameo appearances in the illustrations.
- On the illustration of the street, Wendy MacNaughton can be seen.
- Several books can be seen in both the boy's room and in the lighthouse, all referring to fish, the ocean, or a lighthouse. As follows:
- Boy's Room: