The lake is enormous, large enough to attract hurricanes to the area. It is noted to be very difficult to sail during storms. However, when calm, it is described as quite pretty.
The lake is known for its population of predatory Lachrymose Leeches, known to attack anyone who smells of food, causing a restriction to be imposed around the city forbidding swimming less than thirty minutes after eating.
There are several features in and around the lake, including:
- Captain Sham's Sailboat Rentals
- Carp Cove
- Chartreuse Island
- Cloudy Cliffs
- Condiment Bay
- Curdled Cave
- Lavender Lighthouse
- Rancorous Rocks
- Wicked Whirlpool
The town of Lake Lachrymose functions as a resort, and tends to be crowded during times of nice weather. However, it tends to be nearly empty during the off-season, likely due to the lake being so large that hurricanes become an issue.
The town is paved with a cobblestone road, curling around the buildings like a snake.
The town contains several shops and restaurants:
- The Anxious Clown
- Lake Lachrymose Police Department
- Look! It Fits! - clothing store
- Several closed, boarded-up stores
- Unnamed Grocery Store, with barrels of limes and beets up front
- Lachrymose means "tear-inducing". This could be a reference to Aunt Josephine's sadness and weeping when she lost her husband in the lake. It also creates imagery of a lake being filled with tears.