Inhabitants of The Island are referred to as colonists. The following people were at one point, or are, Islanders.
Known to have left prior to the beginning of A Series of Unfortunate Events.
- Beatrice and Bertrand Baudelaire (exiled by Ishmael)
- Unnamed two women, who left with the Incredibly Deadly Viper
Several colonists were living under Ishmael when the Baudelaire children arrived on the island.
- Count Olaf (dies on the island)
- Violet Baudelaire (leaves the island after a year)
- Klaus Baudelaire (leaves the island after a year)
- Sunny Baudelaire (leaves the island after a year)
- Kit Snicket (dies on the island)
- Incredibly Deadly Viper (returns to the Island, leaves the island to follow Ishmael's group)
- Beatrice Baudelaire II (born on the island, leaves the island after a year)
- Ishmael's colonists all have names that reference classic media that involves shipwrecks, islands, or other nautical themes. Supposed sources are:
- Moby Dick, a book by Herman Melville: Ishmael
- The Tempest, a play by William Shakespeare: Alonso, Ariel, Ferdinand, and Miranda Caliban, along with Friday Caliban's surname.
- The Bounty Trilogy, a series by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman: Rabbi Bligh, Byam, Professor Fletcher, Madame Nordoff and Mr. Pitcairn.
- The Sea-Wolf, a book by Jack London: Brewster, Larsen and Weyden.
- Samuel "Black Sam" Bellamy, an 18th century pirate: Jonah and Sadie Bellamy's surname.
- Heart of Darkness, a novella by Joseph Conrad: Dr. Kurtz and Ms. Marlow.
- Our Girl Friday, a 1953 British comedy film: Sadie Bellamy's first name and possibly Friday Caliban's first name.
- Robinson Crusoe, a novel by Daniel Defoe: possibly Friday Caliban's first name and Robinson.
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, a book by Mark Twain: Finn.
- Willa Cather, a 20th century novellist: Willa.
- Erewhon a novel by Samuel Butler: Erewhon.
- Jonah, an Abrahamic myth: Jonah Bellamy's first name.
- The Odyssey, a myth by Homer: Calypso.
- Omeros, an epic poem by Derek Walcott: Omeros.
- William Tecumseh Sherman, a survivor of two shipwrecks : Sherman.