|“||The library was one enormous room, with long, high metal shelves and the perfect quiet that libraries provide for anyone looking for an answer. A mystery is solved with a story. The story starts with a clue, but the trouble is that you usually have no idea what the clue is, even if you think you know.||”|
|“||They say in every library there is a single book that can answer the question that burns like a fire in the mind.||”|
Lemony Snicket described the library as "looking like a problem you're trying to solve." He also states it seems bigger every time he visits. There is a "best dictionary" in the library that Snicket can find easily.
The library is often infested with Farnsworth Pulpeater Moths.
After receiving threats (presumably from the Inhumane Society), Qwerty installed a sprinkler system in the northeast corner. While the sprinklers were set off by Stew Mitchum and Ellington Feint, leaving the Inhumane Society to believe it was destroyed, Pip and Squeak Bellerophon had managed to hide the real library books in Black Cat Coffee's attic, swapping them out with blank books.
After the death of Dashiell Qwerty, Pip and Squeak took over as librarians.
VFD InvolvementThere is a strong possibility the library is linked to VFD, as Dashiell Qwerty was placed there by the organization and used to supervise S. Theodora Markson and Lemony Snicket. It was also used for an apprenticeship assessment for Snicket, with volunteer Lois Dressing leaving a message in one of the books.
Despite the fact it seems VFD has positioned itself in the library, aside from the mentioned incident and Qwerty giving Snicket and his associates the necessary books to solve their mysteries, the organization does not seem to use the library much.
- Local History
- Military History
- An Analysis of Brown, Black and Beige
- Caviar: Salty Jewel of the Tasty Sea
- Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
- Despair by Vladimir Nobokov
- Dictionaries - English and Italian
- Harriet the Spy, The Long Secret, and Sport by Louise Fitzhugh
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- Stain'd Myths
- Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
- An unnamed book on the Yamgraz with an oyster cover design.
- Unnamed chemistry, biology, botany and endocrinology books in the Science section.
- Pip Bellerophon
- Squeak Bellerophon
- Nurse Dander
- Lois Dressing
- Ellington Feint
- Jake Hix
- Cleo Knight
- Ornette Lost
- Moxie Mallahan
- Lemony Snicket
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 PROSE: Who Could That Be at This Hour?
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 PROSE: When Did You See Her Last?
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 PROSE: File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 PROSE: Shouldn't You Be in School?
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 PROSE: Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights?