The City's name is possibly shown in an illustration for The Penultimate Peril when a man is shown with a fedora holding a letter saying, "J.S, Hotel D______ (presumably Denouemont), New Cara_____ray, Column________."On an official photo given of Hotel Denouement stationary, the number listed below the logo is 800-632-1709, which is the phone number for a San Francisco traveling and hotel booking agency, implying that the city may be- or may be near- San Francisco, California.
In the film, it is claimed that the city is Boston, Massachusetts, seen on the letter in the ending.
TV series canonAccording to a map, the unnamed City is set in an area called the Land of Districts.
Some promotional material suggests the City is called "Coastal Park Town" and is in America. This would make sense considering the nearby bodies of water on the map. However, there is a chance that this is simply where the headquarters of Mulctuary Money Management is, if there is one.
There is also evidence in the TV series that the City is in or near Florida as a memo mentions Miami. In The Hostile Hospital, Hal puts away the weather report for Hurricane Herman at Damocles Dock, which the Baudelaires survived in The Wide Window.
The city is portrayed as gloomy, polluted, gray and inhabited by bizarre individuals, many connected to V.F.D.
The city is half a day's drive away from Stain'd-by-the-Sea, the setting of All the Wrong Questions. It is possible the series begins there and that The Hemlock Tearoom and Stationery Shop may be located in the City.
There are a number of business districts present, including the fish district and stationery district. Café Salmonella is located in the fish district, which looks, smells, feels, sounds, and if you were to lick the streets, probably tastes like fish. Mulctuary Money Management, the bank where Arthur Poe works, is located in the banking district of the city.
- 667 Dark Avenue - Home of Esmé and Jerome Squalor.
- The Anxious Clown - A fast food restaurant.
- Baudelaire Mansion, - Former home of the Baudelaire family. Burned down.
- Briny Beach - A polluted beach outside the city
- Café Kafka
- Café Salmonella - A seafood diner located in the Fish District
- Count Olaf's house - The home of Count Olaf.
- Daedalus Dock
- The Hemlock Tearoom and Stationery Shop
- Hotel Denouement - The former lodging establishment that uses the Dewey Decimal System. Burned down.
- Hotel Preludio
- Justice Strauss' house - The home of Justice Strauss
- Poe house - The home of Mr. Poe and the Poe family
- Mulctuary Money Management - It is in the Banking district. This is where Mr. Poe works.
- Museum of Bad Breakfast
- Museum of Items
- Old Ed's Soda Shop - This is a location in the TV series where Beatrice Snicket meets with Lemony Snicket.
- Orion Observatory
- Rhetorical Building - The office of Lemony Snicket and Beatrice Snicket.
- The Royal Gardens - A burned down public garden
- Valorous Farms Dairy - This is where Lemony Snicket believes he was born.
- Veblen Hall - This is where the In Auction took place.
- Veritable French Diner - A diner operated by the VFD
- Verne Invention Museum
- Akhmatova Bookstore - A bookstore where Klaus would visit.
- Pincus Hospital - This is where Sunny was born.
- St. Carl Cathedral
People who live or have lived at some point in the city. The following persons include:
- Bertrand Baudelaire
- Beatrice Baudelaire
- Violet Baudelaire
- Klaus Baudelaire
- Sunny Baudelaire
- Count Olaf
- Esmé Squalor
- Jerome Squalor
- Justice Strauss
- Arthur Poe
- Polly Poe
- Edgar Poe
- Albert Poe
- Eleanora Poe
- Dewey Denouement
- Ernest Denouement
- Frank Denouement
- The Bald Man with the Long Nose
- Henchperson of Indeterminate Gender
- White-Faced Women
- Wart-Faced Man
- Lemony Snicket
- Beatrice Snicket
- Man With a Beard But No Hair
- Woman with Hair but No Beard
- Banking District
- Meat District
- Flower District
- Sculpture District
- Fish District
- Clothing District
- Beverage District
- Stationery District
- Who Could That Be at This Hour? (Mentioned only)
- When Did You See Her Last? (Mentioned only)
- Shouldn't You Be in School? (Mentioned only)
- The Bad Beginning
- The Ersatz Elevator
- The Vile Village
- The Grim Grotto
- The Penultimate Peril
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (film)
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (video game)
- Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV series)