The Hinterlands comprise a large desert wasteland located outside The City and appears to be endless.
The Hinterlands are described as being a vast and empty place that is very far from the outskirts of the city and without any settlements for hundreds of miles. It also seems to be blackened and desolate. Feral animals such as abandoned lions roam the region, but it is not known how many.
The blue sunsets in the Hinterlands are famous for their beauty. A single dusk is described as a dark blue light spreading eerily as the sun sinks behind the Mortmain Mountains. The light itself is so vast that at times, the desert appears to be underwater.
A road in the Hinderlands is called Rarely Ridden Road. As the title states, few travel through it by vehicle.
- Caligari Carnival - the only attraction in the area, eventually burnt down
- Village of Fowl Devotees
- Last Chance General Store
- Heimlich Hospital - eventually burnt down
- Mortmain Mountains (possibly)
- Prufrock Preparatory School (possibly) - a boarding school that may or not be located in the Hinterlands since the campus was located in the middle of nowhere in the Netflix adaptation. This is supported by the Land of Districts map which shows Prufrock to the left, or possibly part of, the Hinterlands area.
The Baudelaire Family had planned to visit this region because they wished to see the famous Hinterlands sunsets. Unfortunately, Beatrice and Bertrand passed away so the family never got the chance to make the trip.
Long after the White-Faced Women left Count Olaf's troupe, some rumors that had spread stated that they lived together in the Hinterlands, attempting to grow rhubarb in the dry and barren ground. Even if that rumor is true, it is unknown if the women actually succeeded in doing so.
It is also stated that White-Faced Women were born at Heimlich Hospital which is in the hinterlands instead of Pincus Hospital which is in the city, implying that they may have grown up in or near the hinterlands.