The Reptile Room is kept behind a very tall wooden door with creaky hinges, as well as a doorknob in the middle of it, high enough that adults have to stand on tiptoes to reach it.
The room is made entirely out of glass, with clear walls and a high ceiling rising like a cathedral. There is also a table with ropes, gears and cages to be repaired and studied.
Four rows of wooden tables seat the reptiles, kept in securely fastened metal cages. At the end of the rows is the Incredibly Deadly Viper's cage, kept under a tarp for dramatic purposes.
Known Reptiles in the Collection:
- Alaskan Cow Lizard
- Two-headed lizard with bright yellow stripes on its belly
- Lizard that looks like an owl, with wide eyes and a log in its terrarium
- Androgynous Cobra
- Incredibly Deadly Viper
- Irascible Python
- Mamba du Mal
- Virginian Wolfsnake
- Snake with three mouths, one on top of the other
- Snake that seems to have no mouth
- Snake with deadly venom that kills within seconds
- Snake that can open its mouth so wide it could swallow a large group of people
- Pair of snakes that have learned to recklessly drive a car
In the 2004 film adaptation:
At the far end of the room are several rows of bookshelves, stuffed with books, and with a cluster of tables, chairs and reading lamps in one corner. Several of the books are related to VFD, and thus guarded by some of the reptiles in Montgomery's collection.
- The Big Peruvian Book of Small Peruvian Snakes
- Other unnamed books on Peru
- The Care and Feeding of the Androgynous Cobra
- An Introduction to Large Lizards
- The Mamba du Mal: A Snake That Will Never Kill Me
- Remarkable Phenomena of the Mortmain Mountains
In the Netflix adaptation, Monty Montgomery keeps several of his own journals from his various expeditions in the library, along with a copy of The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations hidden under his desk.