"The Slippery SlopePart One"
|Adapted from:||The Slippery Slope|
|Main character(s):||Violet, Klaus, Sunny|
|Baudelaire guardians:||Brucie, Quigley Quagmire|
|Main enemy:||Count Olaf|
|Main setting:||Mortmain Mountains|
|Library:||V.F.D. Headquarters Library|
|Producer:||Neil Patrick Harris|
|Release date:||January 1, 2019|
|A Series of Unfortunate Events|
|"The Carnivorous Carnival: Part Two"||"The Slippery Slope: Part Two"|
While Count Olaf makes his way to V.F.D. headquarters with Sunny, Klaus and Violet are exactly where we left them: careening toward the edge of a cliff.
- For Beatrice –
- When we met, you were pretty, and I was lonely.
- Now, I am pretty lonely.
Klaus and Violet Baudelaire were in the Freaks' Caravan rolling down the Mortmain Mountains. Violet creates a makeshift drag chute while Klaus jams the wheels with a paddle to stop the caravan from rolling. They nearly die but escape.
Meanwhile, Kit Snicket escapes two V.F.D. villains, the Man with a Beard but No Hair and the Woman with Hair but No Beard. They demand she gives them the Sugar Bowl, but she escapes using the wings of a dragonfly costume. The two summon V.F.D. eagles to chase her. She escapes by sinking into a hole in a frozen stream. Once the eagles leave, she takes a break and it is revealed she is pregnant.
Meanwhile, Violet and Klaus find a fork, with one way leading to Mount Fraught and the other leading to the Valley of Four Drafts where the V.F.D. Headquarters is. Violet desires to go to the Mount Fraught to save Sunny immediately, while Klaus desires to go to the headquarters to get backup, such as from one of their parents who may have survived the fire, to save Sunny. Before they decide, they are chased back down by snow gnats and enter a cave where they discover Carmelita Spats traveling with a group of Snow Scouts and their leader Brucie.
At Mount Fraught, Esme has found a pack of Verdant Flammable Device which look like green cigarettes. Later on, the Hook-Handed Man helps Sunny make dinner.
In the cave, Carmelita tries to force the Baudelaires to leave. When she says "Baudelaires", a boy in a mask gasps. He comes closer and pressures everyone to let the Baudelaires stay and sleep with them for the cold night.
Somewhere else, Kit finds Hugo, Colette and Kevin. She warns them there are dangerous people on the mountain before leaving. The villainous man and woman appear and point their bladed canes at them, implying the trio are killed by the duo.
While the Baudelaires sleep, the masked boy shows the Baudelaires a passageway called the Vertical Flame Diversion. They climb up it. While they climb,Carmilita mumbles things about a pony party for her, which is a reference to The Pony Party.
Back at Mulctuary Money Management, Mr. Poe shows Mrs. Bass the bank. She attacks him and opens the vault. However, she decides to play a game of Go Fish with a tied-up Poe instead of trying to flee. The police come and take Mrs. Bass away.
At Mount Fraught, Olaf insults Sunny's dinner. The Man and Woman come and it is revealed they are his adopted parents and mentors.
After climbing the Vertical Flame Diversion, they find a Vernacularly Fastened Door.
Meanwhile, Kit realizes she dropped the Sugar Bowl in the hole earlier, which means it floated away in the Stricken Stream. Poe suddenly appears, saying he lost his map and is lost. He mentions he experienced a bank robbery and was blamed by Mr. Tamerlane for it, so he decided to flee town and search for some orphans he misplaced.
The Baudelaires open the door and find the burned ruins of the V.F.D. headquarters. It is revealed the Man and Woman burned it down, and that the masked boy is Quigley Quagmire, who Violet confuses as Duncan Quagmire.
- Count Olaf - Neil Patrick Harris
- Lemony Snicket - Patrick Warburton
- Violet Baudelaire - Malina Weissman
- Klaus Baudelaire - Louis Hynes
- Sunny Baudelaire - Presley Smith
- Esmé Squalor - Lucy Punch
- Arthur Poe - K. Todd Freeman
- Kit Snicket - Allison Williams
- Kevin - Robbie Amell
- Quigley Quagmire - Dylan Kingwell
- Man with a Beard but No Hair - Richard E. Grant
- Woman with Hair but No Beard - Beth Grant
- Hook-Handed Man - Usman Ally
- Henchperson of Indeterminate Gender - Matty Cardarople
- Hugo - Kevin Cahoon
- Colette - Bonnie Morgan
- Carmelita Spats - Kitana Turnbull
- Bald Man - John DeSantis
- White-Faced Woman #1 - Jacqueline Robbins
- White-Faced Woman #2 - Joyce Robbins
- Mrs. Bass - B.J. Harrison
- Policewoman - Zandara Kennedy
- Scout Leader - Keegan Connor Tracy
- Snow Scout #1 - Chloe Ling
- Snow Scout #2 - Asia Au-Yeung
- Snow Scout #3 - Baya Ipatowicz
- Snow Scout #4 - Jaedon Siewert
- Snow Scout #5 - Mamie Laverock
- Snow Scout #6 - Stephen John Kosar
- Snow Scout #7 - Emerson D'Sylva
- Nervous Scout - Maya Kooner
to be added
- Carmelita says, "A pony party for me?" while she is asleep, possibly referring to The Pony Party!
to be added
- When Carmelita sees the Baudelaires again, she says, "You’re those orphans from Prufrock Prep who lost your parents in a fire, and then Vice Princie expelled you." This may confuse the audience as Vice Principal Nero did not expel the Baudelaires in The Austere Academy: Part Two.
to be added
to be added
Deviations from the novel
- All of the henchmen are there instead of just Fernald and the white-faced women.
- The caravan adventure goes down differently:
- In the book, the drag chute stops Violet and Klaus from actually going over the cliff. In the series, they do go over but the chute holds on to a branch in time.
- In the same scene, Klaus uses an oar for a brake instead of pouring a sticky mixture on the wheels and Violet using a table for one.
- Klaus and Violet don't grab anything from the caravan as they had to climb out.
- Hugo, Colette and Kevin are in the trunk instead of the back of the car with the others, with the second of them being curled on the floor. (from the previous episode)
- The scenes with Kit Snicket meeting the Man With A Beard But No Hair and the Woman With Hair But No Beard and getting chased by the eagles is not in the book.
- Violet and Klaus's adventure when Sunny and the villains reach the mountain top is a bit different:
- Violet and Klaus don't encounter a fork when trying to look for Sunny that goes to V.F.D. and Mount Fraught (and so they don't argue which way to go).
- Klaus remembers immediately that snow gnats sting instead of having to think a bit on it.
- Because they dont't have coats, they have to swat at the gnats with their hands instead of hiding.
- Carmelita recognizes them because none of them are wearing masks, however Violet and Klaus try to lie about being mountain climbers.
- Quigley is the only one wearing a mask.
- A lady named Brucie leads the scouts instead of a man named Bruce. She also seems to have heard about the Baudelaires in The Daily Punctilio.
- Violet actually indirectly says their pledge is ridiculous.
- The V.F.D. phrases they say to Quigley are different and Quigley mentions a book that Beatrice read to them.
- They ask the parent survivor question in the cave instead of outside avoiding the gnats.
- The Mount Fraught experience is also different:
- Count Olaf is teaching them about villany on the mountain.
- Esmé finds the Verdant Flammable Devices herself instead of getting them from the Man and the Woman.
- Sunny is imprisoned in an igloo of sorts. She also tried to run away right away.
- The henchmen are setting up the tents for Olaf, Esmé, and themselves instead of Sunny. She sets up her own instead of sleeping in a casserole dish.
- Fernald made an outfit for Sunny. He's also being secretly nice to her by helping out.
- Hugo, Collette, and Kevin are sleeping separate from everyone else and actually questioning what they did. Kit also ends up finding them, as do the Man and the Woman.
- The scenes with Mr. Poe and Mrs. Bass does not appear in this book, but may be alluded to in book 12.
- It's explicitly stated the Man and the Woman mentored Olaf. It may have been implied that the latter killed the freaks as when Olaf mentions they are running around, the Woman says, "Not anymore."
- Violet knew the answer to the last phrase instead of only Klaus knowing it. The latter only had to type the word "Tragedy" and not the whole phrase.
- Mr. Poe is somehow lost on Mount Fraught and has run into Kit.
to be added
Behind the scenes
to be added
Home video releases
to be added
to be added