|“||You don't have to worry. My sister and I are hard workers with a good education and sound business sense.||”|
— Treacle Cozy, File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents
Treacle lived in Stain'd-by-the-Sea with his mother, Thomasina, father, and twin sister, Tatiana. The family lived in a cramped apartment above their rocking chair store, Cozy's, with their dog, Tabitha. Treacle's father died sometime before File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents, due to choking on a fishbone, though Thomasiina blamed the "stationary chair" he was seated in.
Treacle and Tatiana were given a good education and were gifted with sound business sense and an appreciation for hard work, though their mother believed that they would be helpless without her, and didn't listen to their suggestions to better the store, which was running out of business during Stain'd-by-the-Sea's economic crash.
Midnight Demon/Panicked Feet
- Lemony Snicket: You're very good liars. That might come in handy if you really want to sell people photographs of kittens. But wouldn't it be easier just to tell your mother and the Baron that you don't want to get married?
- Treacle Cozy: Easier, but not as much fun. Did you suspect?
Thomasina decides that, to ensure her children don't end up on the streets when she dies, and against Tatiana's wishes, that her daughter should marry Baron von Pendle, the nephew of the inventor of the swingset and a rich man. As Tatiana does not want to marry him, her and Treacle plan to break up the engagement.
As Baron von Pendle is an insomniac, and does not want to marry another insomniac, Treacle disguises himself as his sister with a long coat and wig and walks along the Gobi Pier, within the Baron's sightline, to try and convince the Baron that Tatiana is unable to sleep. However, Thomasina becomes convinced that the upcoming marriage is being tampered with by a demon, and calls Lemony Snicket to investigate after nine nights of "Tatiana"'s appearance on the pier.
Snicket meets the twins, after Thomasina interrupts them discussing what else they could sell at Cozy's, and Thomasina explains her plight. Snicket agrees to help, and asks that Tatiana take a walk with him at 11:00 that night. Tatiana and Treacle then make a plan to throw Snicket off.
When Snicket picks up Tatiana, Treacle is reading by the window, seated in a rocking chair and petting Tabitha. As soon as they leave, Treacle once again pretends to be his sister while walking along Gobi Pier. After being spotted by Snicket and Tatiana, his sister distracts Snicket and Treacle rushes back home. He has to work quickly to change out of his black coat and back into his red pajamas, so in a hurry, he stuffs his wig into the basket beneath Tabitha.
Tabitha and Snicket return to Cozy's, to see that Treacle is still reading his book and seems to have not moved. But when Snicket calls for Tabitha, the wig is revealed, and he asks if it wouldn't just be easier to simply tell the Baron and Thomasina that they don't want to marry. Treacle replies that wouldn't be as fun. After a conversation with Snicket over tea, the twins agree to get Tatiana out of her marriage through calm conversation rather than tricks with demons.
Treacle is a young man with short, trim hair and eyeglasses. He is described as being nearly identical to his twin sister, Tatiana.
|“||Mother, some people like stationary chairs. If we made a few changes to Cozy's, we could run a successful business, even in Stain'd-by-the-Sea, and we wouldn't have to live in that cramped apartment above the store.||”|
— Midnight Demon
- Thomasina Cozy: Once Tatiana marries Baron von Pendle, all our problems will be solved.
- Treacle Cozy: She doesn't want to marry him.
|“||I hope your demon hunt went better than my reading. This book was just spoiled by the arrival of Santa Claus.||”|
— Midnight Demon
- When Thomasina asks Snicket what else could be sold at a store called Cozy's, Treacle suggests blankets, pajamas, candles, photographs of kittens, loveseats, and ottomans.
- When Snicket and Tatiana arrive home, Treacle saays that his book was "just spoiled by the arrival of Santa Claus." He could potentially be reading The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis, as Snicket has shown a dislike for Father Christmas's arrival before.
|Thomasina Cozy||Unnamed †|
|Tatiana Cozy||Treacle Cozy|