The V.F.D. tunnels are a network of passages under the City connecting the homes of various organization members to each other, such as the Baudelaires, Snickets, Quagmires, etc. It was most likely created for the noble purpose of volunteer travel but was later also used as a method of escape by Count Olaf on one of his many schemes.
In the book series, Lemony Snicket mentions there are many tunnels, however the routes of only two tunnels are described:
- Tunnel between 667 Dark Avenue and the Baudelaire Mansion
- Tunnel between the Quagmire Mansion and Montgomery Montgomery's house
In the TV series adaptation, the tunnels are frequently shown. They are often used by Lemony Snicket while narrating, as well as by other characters.
Tunnel entrances include:
- In the theater where The Marvelous Marriage was held.
- A manhole in the street across 667 Dark Avenue.
- The fake wall at the bottom of ersatz elevator in 667 Dark Avenue.
- The floor of the Baudelaire Mansion.
- The stage floor in Veblen Hall.
- A prison near Peru.
- Hotel Denouement's sub-basement library card catalog.
There are also many signs within the tunnels, which may imply tunnel entrances/exits at those locations.