V.F.D. (disambiguation)for other uses.
A Vernacular Fastened Door is a door used by members of V.F.D. to seal entrances or passageways until the correct set of words is inputted into the locking device. This device can be very dangerous due to how an incorrect input can lock the door forever.
The Slippery Slope
- "Sir Isaac Newton," the name of the scientist most widely credited with the discovery of gravity
- "Panthera leo," the Latin name for the Volunteer Feline Detectives
- "A rural life of moral simplicity, despite its monotony, is the preferable personal narrative to a daring life of impulsive passion, which only leads to tragedy," the central theme of the novel Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.
The Penultimate Peril
Another Vernacular Fastened Door was placed on the door of the Hotel Denouement's laundry room by Sunny Baudelaire at the request of Dewey Denouement. The door was a decoy to make the villains believe that the Sugar Bowl was located inside. After the Baudelaires were manipulated into helping Count Olaf open the door using Dewey's clues, they found that it was not inside. The correct phrases to the door were:
- Peppermints, known from The Wide Window as the severe allergy Beatrice passed on to her children.
- Poison Dart, the weapon that left Olaf an orphan during the opera leading to the Schism.
- "Who knows when some slight shock disturbing the delicate balance between social order and thirsty aspiration, shall send the skyscrapers in our cities toppling?" This was the famous qoute from the story Native Son, by Richard Wright.
The devices make a reappearance in the Netflix adaption, putting a better emphasis on their importance in the plot.
In The Slippery Slope, the device shares the same importance as the orginal, and the passcodes have remained unchanged.
|A Series of Unfortunate Events (Books)|
|1. The Bad Beginning (1999):||Absent||7. The Vile Village (2001):||Absent|
|2. The Reptile Room (1999):||Absent||8. The Hostile Hospital (2001):||Absent|
|3. The Wide Window (2000):||Absent||9. The Carnivorous Carnival (2002):||Absent|
|4. The Miserable Mill (2000):||Absent||10. The Slippery Slope (2003):||Debut|
|5. The Austere Academy (2000):||Absent||11. The Grim Grotto (2004):||Absent|
|6. The Ersatz Elevator (2001):||Absent||12. The Penultimate Peril (2005):||Appears|
|13. The End (2006):||Absent|
|All the Wrong Questions|
|Who Could That Be at This Hour? (2012):||Absent||Shouldn't You Be in School? (2014):||Absent|
|When Did You See Her Last? (2013):||Absent||Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights? (2015):||Absent|
|File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents (2014):||Absent|
|Other Snicket Books|
|Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography (2002):||Absent|
|The Dismal Dinner (2004):||Absent|
|The Beatrice Letters (2006):||Absent|
|The Hero of the Story (2017):||Absent|